Outdoor free film screenings seem to be all the rage this summer in Toronto. TIFF and the Entertainment District BIA are sponsoring “TIFF in the Park,” free outdoor movies at the David Pecaut Square (formerly Metro Square) in the Entertainment District every Wednesday night from July 6 to August 31, 2011. The movies are family-friendly, with an emphasis on musicals, and include a selection from TIFF Bell Lightbox’s Raj Kapoor retrospective, Jagte Raho. Bring your blankets or folding chairs to sit on the grass. Additionally, there are 200 folding chairs at the back of the park. Free films scheduled for the rest of the summer include:
- The Sound of Music, Wednesday, July 27, 2011, 8:46 p.m.
- Fiddler on the Roof, Wednesday, August 10, 2011, 8:29 p.m.
- Singin’ in the Rain, Wednesday, August 17, 2011, 8:18 p.m.
- The Muppet Movie, Wednesday, August 24, 2011, 8:07 p.m.
- Mary Poppins, Wednesday, August 31, 2011, 7:55 p.m.
David Pecaut Square is located at 221 King St. W. (between Simcoe and John Streets).