By Lori Bosworth
UPDATED FOR 2014: Are you one of the lucky employees who gets Tuesday, November 11, 2014 off as a vacation day? If you are taking time out to honour Canada’s war veterans, Toronto has many Remembrance Day ceremonies taking place on November 11, 2014. You may also want to use your long weekend to take in the Royal Agricultural Winter. Here are some other ways to enjoy your November long weekend in Toronto.
Remembrance Day Ceremonies in Toronto 2014
- Remembrance Day Ceremonies take place at Old City Hall, 60 Queen St. W. and East York, Etobicoke, North York, Scarborough and York Civic Centres on Tues., Nov. 11, 2014 from 10:45 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Will also be broadcast live on Citytv and CP24.
- Casa Loma will be hosting a Remembrance Day program with the Queen’s Own Rifles on Sat., Nov. 8, 2014 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., including military displays, photos with uniformed officers, guest lecturers, guided tour and children’s activities. Active and retired military personnel receive free admission with valid military ID.
- Ceremonies at Fort York National Historic Site, Strachan Avenue Military Cemetary, 250 Fort York Boulevard include a processional parade with fife and drum on Tues., Nov. 11, 2014. The procession begins at the parking lot at 10:45 a.m. There is free admission to Fort York until noon.
- The Soldiers’ Tower on the west side of Hart House at the University of Toronto will be the site of Remembrance Day ceremonies on Tues., Nov. 11, 2014 from 10:20 a.m. to 11 a.m. Reverend Ralph Carl Wushke, Chaplain of Knox and Victoria Colleges, will preside over the service,which includes a reading of “In Flanders Field,” laying of wreaths, singing of hymns and the playing of The Last Post, The Lament, Reveille and the Royal and National Anthems. A reception will follow in the Great Hall at Hart House at 11 a.m.
Toronto Shows on Remembrance Day Weekend
The following Toronto shows are scheduled over the Remembrance Day Weekend:
- The Royal Agricultural Winter Fair runs from Nov. 7-16, 2014 at Exhibition Place. Tickets are Adults $24, Seniors (65+) $19, Children (4-17) $16 and Family Pass (2 adults and 2 youth) $52.
- The National Women’s Show at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre from Nov. 7-9, 2014. Visit over 450 exhibits and find out about new products and services. Guests include Patrick Adams of Suits, Doug Davidson of The Young and the Restless, John Higgins of the Food Network and Dr. Marla Shapiro. Tickets are $15 at the door; 12 and under Free.
- The Baby Time Show 2014 takes place Nov. 7-9, 2014 at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, North Building. Tickets are Adults $16, Grandparents $10 and 12 and under Free.
- The Tempest at Hart House Theatre at the University of Toronto.
Toronto Maple Leafs vs. New York Rangers
The Toronto Maple Leafs play the New York Rangers on Sat., Nov. 8, 2014 at 7 p.m. at Air Canada Centre in Toronto. The Leafs beat the Rangers 6-3 the last time the two teams met on October 12, 2014.