Your furry friend provides you with all kinds of affection during the year. Now it’s time to return the love by taking your best dog to Woofstock at Toronto’s St. Lawrence Market on Sat., June 8 and Sun., June 9, 2013 to mingle with canine buddies, watch the crowning of Ms. and Mr. Canine Canada (Miss and Mr. CHIN Bikini have nothing on them), compete in the best costume contest, sample gourmet treats, find out about dog-friendly travel accommodations or purchase the hottest doggie fashions and accessories.
Visitors to Woofstock will be able to check out more than 200 vendors along Front Street East, which will be closed to traffic from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. Berczy (Barksy?) Park will be the centre of activity featuring doggie contests and fashion shows. Below is a schedule of Woofstock events, which take place on both Saturday and Sunday. Several events require prior registration (which can be done the day of the event).
- 10:30 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday and 11:30 a.m., 4:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. on Sunday – Purina Pro Plan Dog Stars go through hoops, jump hurdles and even tackle teeter-totters
- 12:05 p.m. – Doggie Fashion Show
- 12:30 p.m. – Stupid Dog Trick Contest
- 1 p.m. – Ms. and Mr. Canine Canada Pageant
- 2 p.m. – Ultimutts Tricks Show
- 2 p.m. – Best Costume Contest
- 3 p.m. – Ultimutts Canine Games
On Sunday, you can participate with your dog in the K9 Rescue Me Walk-A-Thon that begins at Berczy Park at the Scott Street entrance. This year’s goal is to raise $150,000 for the K9 Rescue Me non profit organization to assist dogs in need with health care or to find them homes.
So if you don’t want your dog creating a bone to pick with you or chasing his tail or licking his wounds about not being able to attend Woofstock, head down to St. Lawrence Market and enjoy the beginning of the dog days of summer…sorry.