Legendary R&B singer-songwriter Smokey Robinson will perform a free concert at the TD Toronto Jazz Festival on Friday, June 21, 2013 at 8 p.m. at Nathan Phillips Square with guests Martha and The Vandellas. The free concert is part of TD Toronto Jazz Festival‘s Free-For-All Friday on Friday, June 21 where fans can listen to music for free at participating clubs, venues and restaurants.
Robinson was not only the lead singer of The Miracles; he also wrote/co-wrote the group’s top hits, “I Second That Emotion,” “Shop Around,” “You’ve Really Got a Hold on Me,” “Going to a Go-Go,” “The Tracks of My Tears,” “Ooo Baby Baby,” “The Tears of a Clown,” ”
Before joining The Miracles, Robinson penned “My Guy,” “Ain’t That Peculiar,” “The Way You Do The Things You Do,” “Get Ready,” “My Girl,” “Don’t Mess With Bill” and “You Beat Me to the Punch” for popular Motown artists. Robinson was inducted into both the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the Songwriter’s Hall of Fame.
Martha Reeves and the Vandellas found success in the sixties with hits, “Dancing in the Street,” “Nowhere to Run,” “Jimmy Mack” and “(Love Is Like a) Heat Wave” among others.
Other free concerts on Free-For-All Friday (June 21) include:
- An Evening with Molly Johnson – Jazz Bistro, 251 Victoria Street, 8 p.m. and 10 p.m.
- Sondheim Project – Pure Spirits Patio, Distillery District, 6 p.m.
- Mary Margaret O’Hara with Yvette Tollar at Musideum, 7 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.
- Don Byron with Michael Occhipinti at The Rex Jazz & Blues Bar, 8 p.m.
- Dave Buchbinder Trio at Lula Lounge, 8 p.m.
- Jake Wilkinson at Harlem Underground, 8 p.m.
- Brownman Akoustic Quartet (Tribute to Freddie Hubbard) at May Café, 9 p.m.
- Victor Lewis with Ryan Oliver at The Rex Jazz & Blues Bar, 11 p.m.
- Moo’d Swing at Dominion on Queen, 6 p.m.
- Michael Dunston / Dave Young – Shops at Don Mills, 8 p.m.
- Groove Corporation at Monarch’s Pub, 9 p.m.
- The Grind with special guest vocalist at Joe Mama’s, 10 p.m.
- Joaquin Nunez Hidalgo & Eddie Bullen at Dominion on Queen, 10 p.m.