By Lori Bosworth
Many Torontonians take off for the August long weekend, renting cottages in Haliburton or Muskoka or visiting Stratford or Niagara-on-the-Lake. If you’re not heading out of town this August Civic Holiday weekend, you may want to stop at one of Toronto’s best patios before or after taking in one of the following events.
Ovo Fest 2015 at Molson Amphitheatre
Ovo Fest takes place on the Civic Holiday Weekend at Air Canada Centre on Saturday, August 1, 2015 and at Molson Amphitheatre on Sunday, August 2, 2015 and Monday, August 3, 2015. Comedian Kevin Hart headlines at Air Canada Centre while Drake headlines on Monday, August 3. Guests include J. Cole, Big Sean, YG, Jeremih, Bas, Cozz, Omen and special guests. Tickets for Ovo Fest are $75, $123.50 and $189.25.
Caribana Parade 2015
The Caribana Parade, part of the renamed Scotiabank Caribbean Carnival Toronto, runs along Lake Shore Blvd. W. from Exhibition Place for a 3.5 kilometre route on Saturday, August 3, 2013 at 10 a.m. The parade is free admission, but if you prefer a better seat, general admission seats are $20, which will allow guests to enter the Orange Zone, while a $50 admission will guarantee access to the VIP sections.
Caribana Parties 2013
- Soca Above the Water at Solarium at Polson Pier, 11 Polson Street on Friday, August 2, 2013. Tickets are $35 and include two free drink tickets for those arriving before 10:30 p.m.
- The Hot 97 BET Party at the Guvernment on Sunday, August 4, 2013. Tickets are $45.
- Soca X Hip Hop at Atlantis Pavillion, Ontario Place on Saturday, August 3, 2013 features four rooms playing Hip Hop, Soca, R&B and reggae. Tickets are $30.
- Newsies plays the Ed Mirvish Theatre at 244 Victoria Street on Friday, July 31, 2015 at 7:30 p.m., Saturday, August 1, 2015 at 1:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.; and Sunday, August 2, 2015 at 1:30 p.m. Tickets are $130, $107, $89 and $59.
- Anything Goes at Princess of Wales Theatre Saturday, August 3, 2013 at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. and Sunday, August 4, 2013 at 2 p.m. Tickets are $119, $99, $89 and $49
- Cats has performances at the Panasonic Theatre, 260 King St. W., during the August long weekend on Saturday, August 3, 2013 at 1:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.; and Sunday, August 4, 2013 at 1:30 p.m.
This festival celebrating reggae, soul, salsa and African music, African dance performance, the spoken word, visual arts and movies takes place on the Civic Holiday weekend. The Irie Music Festival at Fort York features Bunji Garlin, Fay-Ann Lyons, Junior Creed and Inner Circle and others on Saturday, August 1 to Sunday, August 2, 2015. Admission is $5 before 5 p.m.,, $10 in advance and $20 at the gate.