Light up the barbeque and invite your family and friends over for National BBQ Day this Saturday, July 13, 2013. The event, sponsored by Meal Exchange, was designed to raise awareness about the importance of buying and eating local. Supporting local farmers and food producers ensures that Canada maintains a sustainable food source and food security.
Purchasing local foods is just a smart decision all around. When you buy local, you help reduce the carbon footprint since local food travels shorter distances to get to your home. Purchasing local food also means you are investing in local farmers and food producers and your community, which results in increased local employment and a stronger tax base.
If you register your barbeque online, you can win several prizes including a Napoleon BBQ Grill. Participants are encouraged to share their barbeque experiences on social media this Saturday using the hashtag #NationalBBQDay.
Since 2010, over 120 cities and towns across Canada have hosted barbeques on National BBQ Day.
Shop for your barbeque at these local farmers markets in Toronto:
- Dufferin Grove Organic Market, Thursdays from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. at 873 Dufferin Street (in park across from Dufferin Mall)
- East Lynn Farmers’ Market, Woodbine and Danforth, Thursdays from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Metro Hall Farmers’ Market, 55 John Street near King Street, Thursdays from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Junction Farmers’ Market, 2960 Dundas Street West, Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Withrow Park Farmers’ Market, 725 Logan Avenue, Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Evergreen Brick Works Farmers’ Market, 550 Bayview Avenue (Bayview Extension), Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Meal Exchange is a national youth-driven, registered charity that engages, educates and mobilizes youth to work with their communities to alleviate hunger locally, achieve food security, and develop solutions that attain just and sustainable food systems. Its programs have been run in more than 100 communities across Canada and have generated over $3 million worth of food.