By Lori Bosworth
A visit to the CNE is the way many Torontonians wrap up their summer. This year, the Canadian National Exhibition will bring back all the favourites including the Food Building, rides, casino, garden show, Ribfest, amusement games and Air Show, as well as a lot of new shows and concerts. Here’s what’s new at the CNE for 2013:
CNE Concerts at the Bandshell
These Bandshell concerts are free with admission:
- The Proclaimers, August 16, 2013, 7:30 p.m.
- The New Pornographers, August 17, 2013, 7:30 p.m.
- The Beach Boys with Brothers Dube, August 18, 2013, 7:30 p.m.
- The Fifth Dimension, August 22, 2013, 7:30 p.m.
- Lou Gramm of Foreigner, August 23, 2013, 7:30 p.m.
- USS with Ill Scarlett, August 24, 2013, 7:30 p.m.
- Dragonette with Dirty Radio, August 25, 2013, 7:30 p.m.
- Frankie Avalon, August 29, 2013, 7:30 p.m.
- Theory of a Deadman, August 31, 2013, 7:30 p.m.
New Shows at the CNE in 2013
The Acrobatic Show is performed daily from 2 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. at the Ricoh Coliseum. This year’s show, Tic Toc, features cirque, trapeze and trampoline performers and jugglers.
The Flying Wallendas perform their world famous trapeze and tightrope act on the Princes’ Boulevard south of Hall C of the Direct Energy Centre. The group performs at 4:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. from Monday to Thursday and at 1:30 p.m., 4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Labour Day Monday.
Food Network Celebrity Stage
Get great cooking tips from master chefs demonstrating their craft on the Food Network Celebrity Stage. Some of the chefs include:
1) Mark McEwan of North 44, McEwans’s who appears on Friday, August 16, 2013 from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 6 p.m.
2) Susur Lee, who recently opened Bent Restaurant on Dundas Street West, appears on Friday, August 23, 2013 from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 6 p.m.
3) Bob Blumer, host of Food Network Canada’s Glutton for Punishment and Surreal Gourmet, appears on Sunday, August 18, 2013 from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. and from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Kids’ World at the CNE
Bring your child to Kids’ World to see their favourite TV character.
- My Little Pony appears on the Kids’ World Stage from August 16-21, 2013 at 11 a.m. and at Kids’ World at 3:30 p.m.
- Barney appears on the Kids’ World Stage from August 22-27, 2013 at 11 a.m. and at Kids’ World at 3:30 p.m.
- Thomas and Friends appear at the Kids’ World Stage from August 28-Sept. 2, 2013 at 11 a.m. and at Kids’ World at 3:30 p.m.
If you purchase your CNE tickets online before August 17, 2013, you’ll get up to 33% off the regular prices. Regular admission is $16, Children 13 and under and Seniors $12, Family Pass (2 adults and 2 children OR 1 adult and 3 children) $48 and Ride All Day Pass $38. Opening day (Friday, August 16) admission is $8 and if you arrive after 5 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday (not including Labour Day), you pay only $5. Admission for 19 and under is free before 3 p.m. on Tuesday, August 27.