Doors Open Toronto 2014, the festival that allows free public access to public and private buildings in Toronto, takes place May 24-25, 2014. This year, 40 new buildings will be open to the public. Some of these buildings include:
Featuring Art Deco design with wrought iron railings, over-sized chandeliers and arched windows, the Arcadian, located at 401 Bay Street, 8th floor, was built in 1929 in the Post-Modern and Revival styles. The event space hosted the Toronto Symphony Orchestra’s earliest radio broadcasts. Open Sunday, May 25, 2014 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Church of St. Mary Magdalene
The church, built in 1888, is located at 477 Manning Avenue. Built in the Revival style, the church is open Saturday, May 24 and Sunday, May 25 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Gibraltar Point Lighthouse
Located on Gibraltar Point on the Toronto Islands, the Gibraltar Point Lighthouse is the oldest existing lighthouse on the Great Lakes. The first lightkeeper of the lighthouse, John Paul Radelmuller, was murdered. Locals have reported hearing the sounds of moaning and seeing apparitions at the lighthouse. The lighthouse is open to the public Saturday, May 24 and Sunday, May 25, 2014 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Built in 1980 in the Post-Modern style, the Columbus Centre at 901 Lawrence Avenue West is open Saturday, May 24 and Sunday, May 25, 2014 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Fort York Armoury
Fort York Armoury at 660 Fleet Street West, features a large, lattice wood roof, large enough for parades, military messes and training of soldiers. Built in 1935, Fort York Armoury is a designated Federal Heritage building and will be open on Saturday, May 24 and Sunday May 25, 2014 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Dixon Building at 49 Front Street East, built in 1872, is typical of Second Empire Architecture. The building features a cast iron facade, which is protected by Ontario Heritage Trust. The building is open Saturday, May 24 and Sunday, May 25, 2014 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Cornell Campbell House
The Cornell Campbell House is a historic farm house currently used as a City of Toronto horticultural centre. Located at 3620 Kingston Road, Cornell Campbell House was built in 1836. Open on Saturday, May 24 and Sunday, May 25, 2014 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Artscape Youngplace opened in 2013 at 180 Shaw Street. The converted school, originally built in 1914, now houses a variety of artists’ organizations offering arts programs to the public. Artscape Youngplace is open to the public on Saturday, May 24 and Sunday, May 25, 2014 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Knox College, a post-graduate theological college at the University of Toronto, was built in 1915. The college was established in honour of Scottish Reformation theologist John Knox, who was part of the Free Church of Scotland, which had separated from the Church of Scotland. The Gothic building features cloister windows and a Hellmuth Wolff organ in the chapel.
The Great Hall
Constructed in 1889 in the Georgian/Neo-Classic style, The Great Hall is open to the public on Sunday, May 25, 2014 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Explore the new home of Zoomer Media at 64 Jefferson Avenue. The Liberty Village building, built in Post-Modern style, will be open Saturday, May 24 and Sunday, May 25, 2014 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.