By Lori Bosworth
Luminato, Toronto’s festival of arts and creativity, returns June 6 to 15, 2014 and offers accessible arts programming including music, theatre, dance, visual arts, literature, film and food. Luminato’s mission is to bring Toronto’s diverse cultures together through creativity.
Some of the live music performances at Luminato this year include:
- The Roots performing at David Pecaut Square on Sat., June 7, 2014 at 9 p.m. Tickets are $35.
- Saidah Baba Talibah performing at David Pecaut Square on Fri., June 13, 2014 at 8 p.m. Tickets are $35.
- Ziggy Marley performing at David Pecaut Square on Sat., June 14, 2014 at 9 p.m. Tickets are $35.
This year, Luminato will feature a Literary Picnic at Trinity Bellwoods Park on June 15, 2014 from 12 noon to 3:30 p.m. where 45 Toronto writers will read from their own works. Authors at the picnic include Andrew Pyper, Dr. Vincent Lam, Craig Davidson, Alissa York, George Elliott Clarke, Zoe Whittall, Lynn Crosbie, Austin Clarke and Lisa Charleyboy among others. After the picnic, you’ll have the chance to join three Literary Walks hosted by Andrew Pyper, Cary Fagan and Alyssa York, as they share their inspiration for their stories from the neighbourhoods. Literary walks are $25 each, can be purchased online and include:
- Andrew Pyper: Literary Walk: Queen Street West, The Dark Side, 3 p.m. to 4:15 p.m. (Complimentary shuttle bus leaves at 2:45 p.m. from Trinity Bellwoods Park.)
- Cary Fagan: Literary Walk: Kensington’s Market of Characters (Complimentary shuttle bus leaves at 3:45 p.m. from Trinity Bellwoods Park)
- Alissa York: Literary Walk: Secrets of the Ravines (Complimentary shuttle bus leaves at 1:30 p.m. from Trinity Bellwoods Park)
Another popular event is the Taste of the Beach, a foodie event that takes place at David Pecaut Square on June 7, 2014. Ten Toronto chefs will be paired with 10 Luminato musical artists to create gourmet delights fit for a beach. Treats are $5 each. Taste of the Beach takes place from 12 noon to 5 p.m.
If you enjoy live theatre, Isabella Rossellini will be appearing in the Canadian premiere of Green Porno at the Winter Garden Theatre from Friday, June 6 to Sunday, June 8. Written by Isabella Rossellini and Jean-Claude Carrière, and staged by Muriel Mayette, Green Porno examines sexuality and reproduction across a variety of animal species. Tickets are $140-$325 and can be purchased online.