Healthy habits begin early; there is simply no better time to teach nutrition and cooking skills to kids than when they are young. That’s the objective of FoodShare’s Recipe For Change, a fundraising event returning to the St. Lawrence North Market in Toronto for its sixth year. Taking place on Thursday, February 26, 2015, Recipe For Change at St. Lawrence Market features local chefs, brew masters and winemakers offering some of their best dishes, brews and vintages to guests with proceeds going to increase healthy food and food literacy in Toronto-area schools.
The 30 chefs participating at Recipe For Change this year represent FRANK at the AGO, Fonda Lola, DaiLo, Lamesa Restaurant, Veghed Fresh Bar, Wild Burger, Cruda Café, Hooked Inc., Ryerson Eats, The Good Earth Cooking School & Winery, Karelia Kitchen, Bombay Street Food, The Urban Acorn, George Brown College, The Tempered Room and Sweet Sammies. Four VQA wineries and two Ontario craft breweries will provide wine and beer samplings. You can also enjoy organic tea from Lemon Lily Organic Teas and Carol Marks Primal Tea and coffee from Crema Coffee Co.
“FoodShare’s Recipe for Change event so deliciously and wonderfully supports Food Literacy in schools,” says Debbie Field, FoodShare’s Executive Director. “It raises needed funds to teach thousands of school aged children how to cook, grow food, compost and more.”
Some of the dishes you’ll enjoy at Recipe For Change include:
- Chicken Tagine with Seven-Vegetable Cous Cous prepared by Chef Joan Monfaredi of Annona at the Park Hyatt
- Beet Raviolis with Cashew Fermented Cheese and Radish Sprouts Drizzle with Macadamia Oil, Raw Vegan Nanaimo Bars prepared by Chef Claudia Gaviria of Cruda Café
- Curry Coconut Kale and Plantain Dumplings prepared by Chef Bashir Munye of My Little Dumplings
- Giggie’s Smoked Trout with Betel Leaf, Lime Leaf, Lemon Grass and Almond Satay Sauce prepared by Chefs Jen Grant and Nick Liu of Dailo Restaurant
- Curry Hot Pot with Coconut Curry Broth, Cassava, Chickpeas, Black Beans, Cabbage and Crispy Taro (Vegan) prepared by Chef Renne Bellefeuille of FRANK at the AGO
- Modern sashimi (Seafood) prepared by Chef Sang Kim of Sushi Making for the Soul
- Smoked Scallop Buckwheat Blini with Dilled Sour Cream, Smoked Salmon Mini Smorrebrod with Crème Fraiche, Sugar Snap Pea and Salmon Roe (Seafood) prepared by Chefs Leif Kravis and Donna Ashley of Karelia Kitchen
Recipe For Change takes place on Thursday, February 26, 2015 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the St. Lawrence North Market, Front Street East.
Tickets for Recipe For Change at St. Lawrence Market are $150 per person and may be purchased online.