By Lori Bosworth
Summer is salad season. Salad is one of the easiest dishes to prepare and works great at backyard barbecues and family picnics. Plus, its abundance of fruits and vegetables will keep us hydrated and cool. It’s great to have a large inventory of salad recipes at your fingertips. With that in mind, we would like to share our Beet, Quinoa, Feta and Avocado Salad. This salad contains several superfoods to ensure you are getting an optimum amount of antioxidants and protein.
Our Beet, Quinoa, Feta and Avocado Salad also features Krinos Organic Greek Feta Cheese made from 100% organic sheep and goat milk from producers in South Greece. This feta cheese has a smooth taste, with the typical sharpness of a feta cheese. I don’t find it quite as salty as other feta cheeses and I love how it complements the beet’s sweetness and quinoa’s nutty flavour.
Speaking of flavour, roasting beets brings this red root vegetable to a whole new level. This recipe involves peeling the beets before roasting, which greatly reduces oven time. A reduced roasting time also helps maintain the betalains in beets, which are anti-inflammatory and help with detoxification. It’s no surprise that beets are a superfood: they contain B vitamins, iron, manganese, magnesium, potassium and copper.
This summer salad also contains the incredibly popular avocado, another super food. Avocados not only help lower cholesterol: their monounsaturated fatty acids help prevent breast cancer.
I hope you enjoy this recipe. Please let me know when you try it in the comment section. You might also be interested in Stir Fried Shrimp and Noodles with Avocado Oil
Beet, Quinoa, Feta and Avocado Salad
- 3 beets leaves removed, rinsed and peeled
- 1 cup quinoa
- 4 oz. Krinos Organic Greek Feta Cheese
- 1 avocado peeled
- 1/4 cup avocado oil Can use olive oil if preferred.
- 1/4 cup White Wine Vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp. honey
- 3 chives chopped
- 6 mint leaves chopped
- ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 400F. Cover beets in olive oil and place in baking pan. Roast for 50 minutes or until knife blade can be easily inserted into center of beets.
- Place 1 cup of quinoa and 2 cups of water in medium sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Slice Krinos Organic Greek Feta Cheese into 1" pieces.
- Slice avocado into 1" pieces.
- Prepare dressing by combining 1/4 cup of Avocado oil, 1/4 cup of White Wine vinegar, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon of honey, chopped chives, chopped mint and ground black pepper to taste. Shake in jar with screw-on lid.
- Combine all ingredients in a salad bowl, pour dressing on top and gently mix, then plate and serve.