In late August, early September, you’ll find that Ontario Field Tomatoes are ripe and ready. The flavour of Ontario Field Tomatoes is far superior to imported or Hot House Tomatoes and one additional bonus is they are much cheaper. When Ontario Field Tomatoes are in season, I like to purchase a bushel full so that I can prepare sauces, salsa, and soups with this wonderful native fruit.
To me, tomatoes represent comfort. I guess it’s because they form the base of comforting soups like vegetable soup or hearty dishes like chili or lasagna. There’s just so much to like about tomatoes. They are rich in Vitamins C and K and biotin and are a good source of potassium, copper, manganese, dietary fiber, Vitamins A, B6 and E, folate, niacin and phosphorus.
To take advantage of ripe Ontario Field Tomatoes, I decided to make Gazpacho with the Braun PureMix Blender. I love making soups since they are easy to prepare and nutritious. Gazpacho, which is served cold, is an in-between season kind of soup and is perfect to serve at the end of summer and beginning of fall.
The Braun PureMix Blender has five settings, which allows versatility when you are blending food ingredients. The blender works great for puréeing soups, such as the Gazpacho recipe featured below. Let me know in the comments if you make this Gazpacho recipe.
Gazpacho Recipe Made with the Braun PureMix Blender
- 4 large Ontario Field Tomatoes peeled and diced
- 1/2 English cucumber peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup Red bell pepper diced
- 1/4 cup green onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 lime juice of
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Add 1/2 of the tomatoes, 1/2 of the cucumbers, 1/2 of the bell pepper and 1/2 of the Extra Virgin Olive Oil to blender and puree for 40-50 seconds or until smooth. Pour mixture into tupperware bowl with lid.
- Add remaining tomatoes, cucumbers, bell pepper, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, green onion, garlic, lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, red wine vinegar and black pepper to blender and puree for 20 seconds. Mixture should be a bit lumpy. Add mixture to tupperware bowl.
- Refrigerate soup for at least 2 hours and up until 24 hours before serving. Pour into bowls and add a few fresh basil leaves to soup as garnish.