Sometimes the best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry as Robert Burns noted in “To a Mouse”. This was the case when I attempted to prepare this Baked Haddock with Avocado Mango Salsa recipe. I know that avocados and mangoes take several days to ripen so I went to the grocery store on Monday and purchased those fruits (yes, avocados are in fact fruits!) I figured they would be ripe within 3-4 days so I bought fresh haddock filets on Wednesday with the goal of preparing this recipe on Thursday. On Thursday, I start doing the prep work for the recipe, which involves chopping the avocados and mangoes. Once I peeled the mango and started chopping it, I knew it wasn’t ripe. I tried a small piece and that confirmed that it was far from being ready to eat. With fresh fish in the fridge and chopped avocado, I wondered how I could modify this recipe so that I could use the ingredients I had bought. I took a look in my fridge’s crisper and noticed a large navel orange. I have never made salsa with oranges before, but a quick check on the internet revealed that many people have and that they have specifically made Avocado Orange Salsa. To say that I was relieved was an understatement. So, instead of the Baked Haddock with Avocado Mango Salsa that I originally planned to make, here is my Baked Haddock with Avocado Orange Salsa recipe:
Baked Haddock Filets with Avocado Orange Salsa
- 2 haddock filets I prefer to use fresh fish, but you could use frozen fish; just make sure it is completely thawed.
- 2 Tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 1 lime juice of
- 1 navel orange
- 2 avocados skins removed
- 1/3 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 lime juice of
- Chop avocados into 1/4" cubes.
- Chop orange into 1/4" cubes. (If using a navel orange, there should be no seeds.)
- Combine chopped avocados, orange and chopped cilantro in a bowl. Add juice of 1 lime to bowl and combine well.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place fish filets on parchment paper and drizzle with juice of 1 lime and 2 Tablespoons of olive or avocado oil.
- Wrap fish in parchment paper into a packet and place in uncovered casserole dish. Bake for 23 minutes on middle rack of oven.
- Plate fish and serve with Avocado Orange Salsa and Spring Greens Salad.