As we transition from spring to summer, that doesn’t mean we have to stop eating soup. Since we don’t need hearty soups to keep us warm in summer, we can lighten up the ingredients for a summer soup such as this Chicken Soup with Quinoa and Spinach. Many soups are perfect for warmer weather. In fact, eating soup in warm weather can cool you down. It works like this: The nerves in our tongue and mouth have receptors that respond to heat. They tell the brain that our body is hot, which signals the brain to cool the body via sweating. As a result, you will feel cooler after eating soup.
I added quinoa to my chicken soup as opposed to white or brown rice. Quinoa is a better option than white rice since it has less carbohydrates. Quinoa also scores higher when compared to brown rice because, while they both offer about 21 grams of carbohydrates per serving, quinoa has more dietary fibre and protein than brown rice. Thus, eating the same serving of quinoa as brown rice will make you feel fuller.
You may be the type that makes your own soup broth and if so, I commend you. I, however, don’t have the time to make broth, but I don’t want to add a salt-laden broth to my soup. So I was very pleased to find Campbell’s No Salt Added Chicken Broth which has only 40 mg of sodium per 2/3 cup. If you like a little more salt in your soup, you can add salt to taste. Adding your own salt will still result in a lot less salt than some of the regular chicken broths contain.
The Chicken Soup with Quinoa and Spinach will last in the fridge for five days. The soup freezes well in a glass food storage container.
Let me know in the comment section whether you make Chicken Soup with Quinoa and Spinach.
Chicken Soup with Quinoa and Spinach
- 1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast cooked
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 2 large carrots
- 1/2 cup celery
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves washed and with stems removed
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 28 oz. can tomatoes with juice I used low sodium tomatoes.
- 900 ml Campbell's No Salt Added Chicken Broth
- 1/3 tsp dried basil
- 1/3 tsp dried oregano
- 1/3 tsp dried thyme
- 1/3 tsp dried marjoram
- 1. Chop 2 carrots into 1/4" pieces.
- 2. Chop 1/2 cup of celery into 1/4" pieces.
- 3. Cut 3 garlic cloves into 1/8" pieces.
- 4. Chop cooked chicken breast into 1/2" pieces.
- 5. Add quinoa, tomatoes (with juice), Campbell's No Salt Added Chicken Broth, celery, carrots and garlic into a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cover pot. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- 6. Add chicken and spices to pot and continue simmering on low heat for 30 minutes.
- 7. Add baby spinach to pot and stir for 3 minutes.
- 8. Add salt (if using) and pepper to taste and serve.