A kitchen remodel is one of the most satisfying projects you can undertake. After all, the kitchen is the epicenter of home life and the room where people spend more of their waking time than any other. The thing about kitchen remodels though is that they can be expensive. Really expensive. So the frugal homeowner looks for ways to enhance their kitchen without draining their bank account. And we’ve got just the ticket with these budget friendly lighting do-overs for the kitchen.
Five Budget Friendly Ways to Ramp Up Your Kitchen Lighting
The key to budget kitchen lighting is to minimize, and in some cases eliminate, the need to open the walls and ceiling and redo the wiring. For fundamental changes like installing new pot lights opening the walls and ceiling will be necessary, but there are other ways you can also enhance the kitchen lighting scheme that are both effective and low impact.
- Add stick-on lights under the cabinets – If you always wanted to have lights under the cabinets to illuminate the countertop, now you can. And you won’t have to run any wires or alter the cabinets in any way. Stick-on lights are now available at most home improvement centres for less than the price of a pizza. These compact LED downlights are battery operated and have adhesive backs. Just peel away the paper, stick them on the underside of the cabinet and voila!
- Introduce a table lamp – Table lamps are usually considered to be the exclusive purview of the living room, den and bedroom. But there’s no law that states you can’t have one or two in the kitchen as well. A table lamp can give the kitchen a settled feeling that’s hard to achieve any other way.
- Upgrade your pot lights – If, like many homes, you have pot lights in your kitchen that date back to the 70s or 80s, think about swapping them out for some brand new, state-of-the-art LED recessed lights. They fit right into the established pot light framework and will provide your kitchen with a contemporary look and feel for very little money.
- Add some plug-in wall sconces – Wall sconces add subtle atmospheric touches that can expand the aesthetic possibilities of the kitchen. However, installing them in the traditional hard-wired fashion can be expensive. To save a few dollars, try installing plug-in sconces instead. Try to find power cords that match the colour of your walls and no one will know the difference.
- Install LED rope lights – LED (light emitting diode) technology has revolutionized both domestic and commercial lighting. One of the more interesting and compelling types of LED light is the rope light. They’re completely flexible, easy to install anywhere and emit a soft, ethereal glow that adds a fresh new dimension to any space. Try them on top of the cabinets and prepare to be impressed.
Upgrading your kitchen lighting doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg. Use the above suggestions to spruce up the look of your kitchen and enjoy the benefits for years to come. To learn more about these and other options talk to your local Toronto Electrician today.
These are great tips! My kitchen could definitely use some more lights and I think stick-on lights under the cabinets are a good way to start!
I love the stick-on lights under cabinets idea because it’s cheap yet effective! Cheers, Lori
I love these tips. My kitchen is in an older style home and it never seems bright enough without some good lighting.
I totally love the stick-on lights under the cabinet, I’m going to do that.
Very nice idea of having stick-on lights under the cabinets
Comments are closed.