When the Christmas season comes along, no matter how busy I am, I always find a way to make one or two kinds of holiday cookies. Buying cookies from the store is convenient, but I really enjoy making my own Christmas cookies to serve when family or friends drop in or to bring to my brother’s or sister’s for Christmas dinner. It’s a tradition I’m not prepared to give up. But I’ve been super busy this December so I wanted to make holiday cookies that didn’t take a lot of time. You’ll be happy to know that these White Chocolate Cranberry Bars can be made in just over an hour!
Cranberries are popping up on restaurant menus due to their high antioxidant level. In fact, they are higher in antioxidants than most other fruits and vegetables including strawberries, broccoli, spinach and cherries. While baking does reduce the antioxidant level of cranberries, they still offer health benefits.
Because cranberries whether fresh or baked are quite tart, I thought they would pair nicely with sweet white chocolate. You could also add some nuts to these bars, but I decided to keep them nut-free.
The batter for this recipe is similar to a chocolate chip cookie batter in that it is quite sticky. That’s why I’ve suggested using parchment paper to line the pan – not only will this result in you not having to clean the pan, but your cookie bars will be very easy to slice and they won’t leave the bottom half of the bars stuck to the pan.
Let me know in the comment section if you make White Chocolate Cranberry Bars.
White Chocolate Cranberry Bars
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup sugar I used cane sugar, but regular sugar is fine.
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place parchment paper in the bottom of an 8" x 8" pan. Grease side of pan and parchment paper with a bit of olive oil.
- Beat egg, butter, sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt to mixing bowl and beat until well blended.
- Stir in 1/2 cup white chocolate chips and 1 cup fresh cranberries. Batter will be sticky.
- Press mixture into pan.
- Bake for 30-33 minutes.
- Let bars cool completely. In the meantime, melt 1/2 cup white chocolate chips over low heat.
- Drizzle melted white chocolate over bars and let bars sit for a few minutes.
- Slice bars into squares, cleaning knife frequently to ensure clean edges.
- Store bars in airtight container.