Family Day is Monday, February 18, 2019 and it couldn’t come soon enough. We’ve already had more winter than many of us would like. Family Day weekend was established as a mid-wiinter break to enjoy time with loved ones. There are a lot of Family Day weekend events in Toronto taking place. Check out these things to do Family Day weekend in Toronto 2019 below:
If you are looking for things to do Family Day weekend in Toronto 2019 for both adults and kids, you’ll want to check out Family Day at Evergreen Brick Works. Kids can learn about gardening during Nature Play at the Children’s Garden from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Monday, February 18, 2019. The Children’s Garden includes access to sand and water play, greenhouse and urban agriculture zones and quiet zones for reading. Children are encouraged to bring a vegetable to add to the Stone Soup. Adults can enjoy beer from local craft brewers at The Brewer’s Backyard from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Young Welcome Centre and BMO Atrium. Breweries on site include 5 Paddles, Black Oak, Great Lakes Brewery, Shacklands, Junction and Beaus. Enjoy dishes from local food vendors.
Family Day hours at Evergreen Brick Works are 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is free. Evergreen Brick Works is located at 550 Bayview Avenue, 416-596-7670.
We Are All Treaty People at Young People’s Theatre
We Are All Treaty People is being performed at the Young People’s Theatre on Family Day Weekend 2019. The play focuses on two children, one Indigenous and one white, who are told by the Trickster that Alberta’s Treaty 7 prevents them from being friends. These friends are undaunted by the treaty and set out to prove the Trickster wrong. The play is told through song, story and dance and includes a post-show Q & A. Performances on Family Day Weekend 2019 are on Feb. 16-18, 2019 at 2:30 p.m. Adult $10-$39; Senior (65+) and Youth (1-18) $10-$34. Young People’s Theatre is located at 165 Front St. E., 416-862-2222 x 2.
Leslieville Flea at The Fermenting Cellar in the Distillery District
The Leslieville Flea will take place on Sunday, February 17, 2019 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the basement of The Fermenting Cellar in the Distillery District. Shop for vintage, and up-cycled goods including jewellery, handbags, antiques, furniture, collectibles and crafts from over 50 vendors. The Fermenting Cellar is located at 28 Distillery Lane. There is metered parking right outside or on Mill Street.
Family Day Painting Workshops at Ontario Place
Join Art Tonite at Ontario Place for their Family Day Painting Workshops for ages 7+. Choose from four step-by-step painting workshops featuring kid-friendly paintings. Cost is $23 per painter and includes all painting materials, a 16 x 20″ canvas, and step by step instruction. Event dates: Sat., Feb. 16, 2019 at 4 p.m., 6 p.m., 8 p.m. and Sun., Feb. 17, 2019 at 8 p.m. Parking is at the West Entrance (West Island/ Cinesphere). Food and beverages are available for purchase.
Family Day 2019 at the Lower Ossington Theatre
Take the family to see the Broadway musical Once On This Island at the Lower Ossington Theatre during Family Day Weekend 2019 in Toronto. The Lower Ossington Theatre is an intimate theatre in Toronto’s Ossington Village. Performances of Once On This Island during Family Day Weekend 2019 are on Fri., Feb. 15, 2019 at 7:30 p.m.; Sat., Feb. 16, 2019 at 3:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.; and Sun., Feb. 17, 2019 at 12 p.m. and 4 p.m. Tickets are $44.99 and $54.99 plus service and facility fees. The Lower Ossington Theatre is located at 100 Ossington Avenue, a few blocks north of Queen Street West.
The Toronto Light Festival is a free event at the Distillery District, showcasing gorgeous light installations. Check out Lory Diaz’s blog post on her visit to the Toronto Light Festival 2019. The Toronto Light Festival runs until March 3, 2019. The Distillery District is located at 55 Mill Street (Parliament and Front Streets).
Murdoch Mysteries Escape Game at Casa Loma
Participate in the Murdoch Mysteries Escape Game at Casa Loma during Family Day Weekend 2019. Detective William Murdoch is missing and you will be hired as a new constable tasked with finding the famous detective. Hours for Family Day Weekend are Saturday, February 16, 2019 and Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 2:45 p.m., 5 p.m., 7:15 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. and Monday, February 18, 2019 at 5 p.m., 7:15 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. Tickets are $40-46 plus HST and can be purchased online.
Winter at Ontario Place
Enjoy Family Day 2019 at Ontario Place with these free activities from Feb. 15-18, 2019 on the West Island.
- Skate Parties: Skate the night away with friends and family at the DJ Skate Parties from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. DJ Fawn will be playing on Saturday evening followed by DJ Shane Mackinnon on Sunday night;
- YMCA: The YMCA of Greater Toronto will be onsite running a winter activity pop-up camp on Monday, Feb 18. Details listed here;
- Painting Lessons: Sign up for a painting class run by Art Tonite on Saturday and Sunday. Classes requires a ticket which can be purchased here;
- Special Effects Make-up Classes: Complimentary special effects classes by SPFX Kids will be available for kids on Monday, Feb 18, 2019. Pre-registration is required;
- Winter Light Exhibition: Explore the creativity and innovation of 18 light exhibits that shape, transmit, reflect or contain light, created by notable and award winning artists from across Ontario. The theme this year is Disruptive Engagement, challenging the creator and user to contemplate light in the winter landscape;
- Community Bonfires: Warm up beside the bonfire while sipping hot chocolate and roasting marshmallows;
- Cinesphere: –Screenings at the IMAX® theatre over Family Day weekend include a free screening of a Beautiful Planet on Mon., Feb. 18, 2019 at 1 p.m., Iron Giant (Signature Edition) and Inception: The IMAX Experience. Showtimes at the Cinesphere can be found here;
- Fairy Lights: Enjoy over 100 trees wrapped in fairy lights throughout the West Island pathways, cast a warm glow over visitors as they explore the West Island.
Bus Trip to New York City
Enjoy Family Day by taking a bus trip to New York City with Tripon by CAN-AR Coach from Feb. 15-17, 2019. Trip fee includes two night’s stay at a reputable hotel near New York City, two breakfasts and all taxes. Cost is Quad $150, Triple $170, Double $210 and Single $335. Must purchase at least three sightseeing activities offered through tour company. Must have valid Canadian passport to enter the U.S. and be 18+. Under 18 must be accompanied by an adult. The bus pick up locations include:
- 3:45 a.m. Major Mackenzie Drive and Hwy 400, Vaughan “Carpool”
- 4:20 a.m. Town Centre Court (in front of YMCA), Scarborough
- 5 a.m. 123 Front St. W., Toronto (Starbucks)
- 5:30 a.m. 1050 Dundas St. E., Mississauga (McDonalds)
- 6:15 a.m. 424 South Service Road, Grimsby Carpool
Call 905-738-2290 x 332 to reserve or email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any suggestions to add to things to do Family Day Weekend in Toronto 2019, please mention them in the comments.