When the holidays arrive, it’s nice to sit down with family, watch some classic holiday movies and enjoy some delicious appetizers. We all need some Christmas relaxation after the year we just had! Although there will be no entertaining of outside household members this year, that doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy some tasty holiday treats.
I used to make these Cheesy Artichoke Squares years ago and just remembered the other day that this vegetarian recipe had been a favourite appetizer of mine to make at Christmas. I always forget how much I enjoy artichokes until I make this recipe. Artichokes also are a great source of minerals such as magnesium, phosphorus and potassium, which offsets the negative effects of sodium. Artichokes also contain vitamin C, B-6, B-12, A, E, D and vitamin K. This is a very easy recipe to make – something you can easily prepare on Christmas Eve!
I have adapted the recipe to a lower carb version by reducing the breadcrumbs to 1/4 cup – you really just need enough breadcrumbs so that the mixture will bind. If you prefer a “breadier” square, increase the breadcrumbs to 1/3 cup.
These squares will store in the fridge for about a week, but I suspect they won’t last that long! If storing in the fridge, just heat up in the oven at 250F for 25 minutes. I would avoid using a microwave as they will make them mushy.
You might enjoy preparing some of these other appetizers: “Best Holiday Appetizers for your Christmas Party“.
Cheesy Artichoke Squares the Perfect Comfort Food for the Holidays
- 1 6 oz. jar marinated artichoke hearts
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/8 tsp hot sauce
- 8 oz. grated cheddar cheese I used medium cheddar.
- Drain artichoke hearts and reserve artichoke marinade from jar. Chop artichoke hearts.
- Heat marinade in a skillet over medium heat and saute onion for 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- In a bowl, combine eggs, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, oregano and hot sauce.
- Heat oven to 325F.
- Add cheese to egg-breadcrumb mixture.
- Add artichokes and onion-garlic mixture to cheese/egg/breadcrumb mixture and mix well.
- Spoon mixture into a greased 9" baking pan.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 325F.
- Store in fridge for up to a week or freeze for up to 2 months.