The summer is winding down and evidence of this is apples are becoming ready to be picked. Several apples farms in the GTA will be open for apple picking in the next week. Going apple picking near Toronto makes for a great family outing! Getting out into the fresh country air is fun and invigorating! Plus, you’ll have fresh apples to use in apple pies, apple sauce, apple cake and apple crisp! Plus it’s a great way to get out and see the fall colours.
You might want to decide whether you are picking apples for baking or eating on their own. The best apples for baking are Honeycrisp, Cortland, Northern Spy, Braeburn, Mutsu and Jonagold. The best apples for cooking are Royal Gala, Granny Smith, Cortland, Honeycrisp, Empire, Golden Delicious and Fuji. If you simply want to eat freshly picked apples, you’ll find that the best apples for eating are McIntosh, Honeycrisp, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, Red Delicious and Empire. Find out where to go apple picking near Toronto in 2023 at the following apple farms that offer pick-your-own apples.
Pick Your Own Apple Farms in Milton 2023
- Chudleigh’s, 9528 Regional Road 25, Halton Hills, 905-878-2725 offers many apple varieties for pick-your-own and ready picked. The apple farm also features a licensed restaurant, store and family friendly activities. The first day of apple picking is Friday, August 18, 2023. The first apple variety of the season is Tydeman Reds, which is a sweet and tart apple that is suitable both for eating and baking. Apple species available later on include Ginger Gold, Wealthy, Silken, McIntosh, Gala, Cortland, Kerr Mini, Red Delicious, Empire, Northern Spy, Honeycrisp, Creston, Russet, Golden Delicious. Admission is for a three-hour window and is Adult (13-64) $16.50, Child (4-13) $14.50, Senior (65+) $15.50, 3 and under Free. Tickets must be purchased in advance. General admission rate applies to upper yard (farm animals, tractor wagon rides, play area, nature trail and bail jump). Timed entries. Admission must be purchased in advance online. Parking is free. The farm is open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. every day including Holiday Mondays until October 31, 2023.
- Willis Family Fruit Farm, 6063 Fifth Line, Milton, 905-876-2606 opens Monday, September 4, 2023 at 10 a.m. Apples ready in September will include Honeycrisp, MacIntosh, Gingergold, Royal Gala. Towards the end of September, Ambrosia, Macoun, Jonagold, Mutsu, Cortland, Golden Russet, Snow, Spartan, Red Delicious and Golden Delicious will be available. Apples are $2.35 per pound. Admission to the apple orchard is Adults and children $7; Seniors (60+) $5; and Infants free.
King City Pick Your Own Apple Farms 2023
- Pine Farms Orchard, 2700 16th Sideroad, King City, 905-833-5459 have been in operation for 50 years selling Melba, Wealthy, Spartan, McIntosh, Red Delicious, Cortland, Northern Spy and limited quantities of other varieties. Ready Aug. 23, 2019: Ginger Gold; Aug. 31: Wealthy; Sept. 7: McIntosh; Sept. 10 Cortland; Sept. 18: Royal Gala and Spartan; Sept. 20: Honeycrisp and Empire; Sept. 25: Mutsu; Sept. 28: Red Delicious; Oct. 1: Ambrosia, Jonagold, Russett; Oct. 5: Northern Spy and Ida Red. Fall hours from mid-August to Nov. 1, 2019 are Monday to Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is $5 per person; 2 and under Free. Admission is cash only; Visa and debit accepted for all other items. No outside food allowed. Bring your own bags if possible.
- JC Agri Orchards, 3105 16th Sideroad, King City, 705-733-5369, offers pick-your-own apples priced by the pound. Apples available soon include Golden Delicious, Northern Spy, Spartan, Ambrosia, Red Delicious, Shizuka. Mid-Sept.: Royal Gala, Honeycrisp, Cortland, McIntosh, Silken. You are encouraged to bring your own bags. Bags are available for 25 cents each. Cash, debit, Visa or Mastercard accepted for apples. Adults $7; Kids $7; Seniors $5 and 2 and under Free. Cash only for snacks and beverages at Apple Road Cafe. Open Friday to Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Pick Your Own Apples in Stouffville 2023
- Applewood Farm Winery, 12442 McCowan Road, Stouffville, 905-642-4720 has apple orchards containing McIntosh, Red Delicious, Honeycrisp, Spartan, Royal Gala, Ambrosia, Golden Delicious, Paula Red, Cortland and Spencer varieties. Pick-your-own apples begin on Sat., Sept. 7, 2019 and are $20 for a 20 lb. bag. Admission is $10 (ages 3-65) and includes includes one pick your own pumpkin or squash per paid entry or one half peck of apples; full use of play yard, animal barn, wagon ride, corn maze and Straw Mountain. Hours after Labour Day 2019 are Monday and Tuesdays closed, Wednesday-Friday noon to 5 p.m., Saturday and Sunday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Thanksgiving Monday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Brampton Pick Your Own Apple Farms
- The Big R’ Apple Farm, 8674 Heritage Road, 1 1/2 kilometres north of Steeles, 905-455-8414 is open Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Apple varieties for picking in September include Fortune, Empire, McIntosh, Golden Delicious, Jonagold, Royal Gala, Honeycrisp, Mutsu, Ginger Gold, Wealthy, Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, and Northern Spy. Schedule a visit on their website.
I hope you get a chance to go apple picking near Toronto in 2023. Let me know in the comment section if you have visited one of these pick your own apple farms.
You might be interested in reading “Labour Day Weekend in Toronto 2023: Events and Things To Do“.