In this week’s pandemic cooking feature, I prepare a new chicken recipe. Chicken is a weekly staple in our household so I’m always looking for new chicken recipes to add to our rotation. I don’t usually eat peanut butter, although I love it in Thai dishes so I was eager to try it in my Chicken and Vegetable Stir Fry with Peanut Ginger Sauce. Obviously, if you or your family members have peanut allergies, you will have to skip this recipe! Interestingly, 2.5% of children in the U.S. have a peanut allergy! I have used organic peanut butter in this recipe, which doesn’t contain the added sugar that regular peanut butter contains.
I used frozen spinach in this recipe simply because I had stocked up on frozen spinach during the pandemic. If you use frozen spinach, make sure you drain most of the water out of it before adding it to the saucepan, otherwise, the dish will have a bit of a mushy texture. The alternative is to use fresh spinach.
I have also opted to add bean sprouts instead of pasta in order to reduce the carbohydrate count. The bean sprouts add a nice crunchy contrast to the cooked vegetables.
I hope you enjoy this recipe. Let me know in the comment section if you make Chicken and Vegetable Stir Fry with Peanut Ginger Sauce. You may also be interested in making “Salmon Fillets with Cauliflower Rice and Spinach“.
Chicken and Vegetable Stir Fry with Peanut Ginger Sauce
- Deep, non-stick skillet, garlic mincer, vegetable mincer
- 2 Chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 red pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 300g frozen spinach You can also use fresh spinach.
- 1 300g fresh mushrooms
- 3 tbsp peanut butter I used PC Organics Smooth Peanut Butter
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp ginger root, minced If you really like gingerroot, use 3 tablespoons.
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar White wine vinegar will also work.
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- 3 cups bean sprouts
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Wash and slice chicken breasts into 1 1/2" slices.
- In a small bowl, stir soy sauce, peanut butter, ginger, sesame oil and vinegar until well mixed. Stir in garlic and coriander.
- Heat 3 Tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken to skillet and brown on both sides.
- Remove chicken from pan, leaving any oil and juice in skillet.
- Add onion and red pepper to skillet and stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Return chicken to skillet and add peanut ginger sauce. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add spinach to skillet. Combine well with other ingredients and cook for 1-2 minutes until heated through.
- Place 1 cup of bean sprouts on plate and top with chicken and vegetable mixture. Serve immediately.