There is one week until Christmas and I find myself fairly organized this year. Most of my Christmas shopping is done except for a few stocking stuffers for my mom. Christmas cards were sent a few weeks ago and our Christmas tree is all decorated.
I even have all of my gifts wrapped and placed under the tree. I haven’t had to sacrifice attending holiday events to get this done. I attended Peter’s Final Flight, a whimsical spin-off of Peter Pan, with my mom, niece and grand-niece and we had a wonderful time. I also attended the grand opening of the new location of Second City Toronto a few weeks ago. This afternoon, I’m going to see the Toronto Children’s Chorus at Roy Thomson Hall.
The only thing left on my Christmas to-do list is holiday baking. Since family members will be dropping by next week, I always like to have some homemade Christmas treats available to serve with coffee. I have learned from past experience that baking Christmas cookies and freezing them for three weeks or more can often leave them tasting dry so I decided to leave my Christmas baking until just a week before Christmas so that I don’t have to freeze the cookies. If you’re like me, you mine Pinterest for the best Christmas cookies you can find. I found bar cookies recipes made with M&Ms and have tailored them to my own tastes. These M&Ms holiday brownies were taste-tested by my mother and brother and they both really liked them so I’m sharing my recipe below.
The colourful M&Ms make these brownie bars very festive looking. If you can find the holiday M&Ms, you could those as well since they are red and green. Please note these M&Ms holiday brownies will be quite gooey because of the addition of sweetened condensed milk. Refrigerating them will help them solidify a bit more so I suggest doing that instead of leaving them at room temperature.
Please let me know in the comment section if you make these M&Ms brownies and what you think of the recipe.
M&Ms Holiday Brownie Bars
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup mini M&Ms
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place parchment paper in a 9-inch baking pan. Spray parchment paper with nonstick cooking spray or wipe parchment paper with a 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Place 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1/2 cup butter in a large, microwaveable bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir, and microwave for a further 30 seconds until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Add 1 cup white sugar, then 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 2 eggs and 1 egg yolk to bowl and beat until well combined. Stir in 1 cup flour until combined.
- Pour mixture into the baking pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and layer 3/4 cup chopped pecans, 1/4 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1/4 cup of the M&Ms.
- Pour 1/3 of the can of sweetened condensed milk over brownies and spread so that it is evenly distributed.
- Place 1 cup coconut on brownies and pour remaining 1/3 of the can of sweetened condensed milk over brownies.
- Place 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1/2 cup of M&Ms on top of brownies.
- Bake for an additional 25 minutes or until edges are golden and the middle is set. If the top is becoming brown, place aluminum foil over top and create a tent so it doesn't stick to brownies.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares with a sharp knife.
- M&Ms holiday brownies will keep at room temperature for up to 1 week or in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
They look really good but I can’t make them. Hubby is allergic to both coconut and nuts.
Hi Renee, Oh too bad. I haven’t heard of a coconut allergy before. Cheers, Lori
These will be a huge hit in my household… they looks so delicious and fudgey too!
Hi Melissa, They were a big hit at my household, especially for the chocolate lovers! Cheers, Lori
Fun and festive! The kids will totally love this! This weekend this will be a hit!
Oh my this looks absolutely delicious and tasty! I really love to try this my kids are going to love this!
Hi Richelle, I hope your kids enjoy them! Cheers, Lori
Can’t wait to try this recipe with my kids they’re gonna love this for sure! Thanks for sharing this with us!
Hi Rose Ann, I think a lot of kids would love these because of the M&Ms! Cheers, Lori
Yum, these are my kind of dessert. I need to make them over the weekend.
Hi Amber, If you make them, let me know what you think of them. Cheers, Lori
Man I love sweets so much more during Christmas time. These look amazing!
Hi Monica, Thank you! Christmas isn’t Christmas without the baking, right? Cheers, Lori
My family will go crazy over this Christmas treat! It looks so rich and delicious!
Hi Catalina, This is definitely a sweet treat! I made them especially for my mom who loves chocolate! Cheers, Lori
This looks like a tasty treat and like it has a whole lot of fun textures!
Hi, Yes, you get crunchy, chewy and soft all in one brownie! Cheers, Lori
Anything with m&ms makes me happy! My son is the world’s biggest brownie fan. Win Win.
Hi Rosey, I guess this is a recipe you would both enjoy! Cheers, Lori
These M&M bars look really good. They are one of my favorite candies.
Hi Stacie, Thanks! I love M&Ms candies too! Cheers, Lori
These M&M bars look so delicious. I must give this recipe a try thanks for sharing it with us.
Would love to try out these cookies in the next Christmases too.
Comments are closed.