There is one week until Christmas and I find myself fairly organized this year. Most of my Christmas shopping is done except for a few stocking stuffers for my mom. Christmas cards were sent a few weeks ago and our Christmas tree is all decorated.
I even have all of my gifts wrapped and placed under the tree. I haven’t had to sacrifice attending holiday events to get this done. I attended Peter’s Final Flight, a whimsical spin-off of Peter Pan, with my mom, niece and grand-niece and we had a wonderful time. I also attended the grand opening of the new location of Second City Toronto a few weeks ago. This afternoon, I’m going to see the Toronto Children’s Chorus at Roy Thomson Hall.
The only thing left on my Christmas to-do list is holiday baking. Since family members will be dropping by next week, I always like to have some homemade Christmas treats available to serve with coffee. I have learned from past experience that baking Christmas cookies and freezing them for three weeks or more can often leave them tasting dry so I decided to leave my Christmas baking until just a week before Christmas so that I don’t have to freeze the cookies. If you’re like me, you mine Pinterest for the best Christmas cookies you can find. I found bar cookies recipes made with M&Ms and have tailored them to my own tastes. These M&Ms holiday brownies were taste-tested by my mother and brother and they both really liked them so I’m sharing my recipe below.
The colourful M&Ms make these brownie bars very festive looking. If you can find the holiday M&Ms, you could those as well since they are red and green. Please note these M&Ms holiday brownies will be quite gooey because of the addition of sweetened condensed milk. Refrigerating them will help them solidify a bit more so I suggest doing that instead of leaving them at room temperature.
Please let me know in the comment section if you make these M&Ms brownies and what you think of the recipe.
M&Ms Holiday Brownie Bars
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup mini M&Ms
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place parchment paper in a 9-inch baking pan. Spray parchment paper with nonstick cooking spray or wipe parchment paper with a 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Place 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1/2 cup butter in a large, microwaveable bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir, and microwave for a further 30 seconds until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Add 1 cup white sugar, then 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 2 eggs and 1 egg yolk to bowl and beat until well combined. Stir in 1 cup flour until combined.
- Pour mixture into the baking pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and layer 3/4 cup chopped pecans, 1/4 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1/4 cup of the M&Ms.
- Pour 1/3 of the can of sweetened condensed milk over brownies and spread so that it is evenly distributed.
- Place 1 cup coconut on brownies and pour remaining 1/3 of the can of sweetened condensed milk over brownies.
- Place 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1/2 cup of M&Ms on top of brownies.
- Bake for an additional 25 minutes or until edges are golden and the middle is set. If the top is becoming brown, place aluminum foil over top and create a tent so it doesn't stick to brownies.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares with a sharp knife.
- M&Ms holiday brownies will keep at room temperature for up to 1 week or in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.