Fall weather has finally arrived in Toronto! The evenings are cooler and I have started donning my sweater collection! One thing I look forward to in fall, aside from nature’s gorgeous palette, is making soups and stews again in my slow cooker. I love the fragrant aromas that waft throughout our home as the meat and vegetables cook away. For cooking inspiration, I enjoy tuning into UK celebrity chef Jamie Oliver’s TV show. I always find new and usually easy recipes to make at home. I saw him prepare “Meltin’ Mustardy Beef,” a beef stew that is part of his “5 Ingredient Series” so I wanted to try it at home.
Oliver’s recipe calls for the stew to be cooked in the oven for four hours! The only time I use my oven for that length of time is when I’m cooking a turkey. I much prefer to use a slow cooker when I’m cooking for several hours. So I adapted his beef stew recipe to be prepared in a slow cooker, plus I added a few more ingredients to my liking to create Beef Stew with Carrots, Onions and Celery.
Another one of the special ingredients in Oliver’s stew is organic rainbow carrots. I was able to find a bunch at Loblaws. I particularly love the look of purple carrots and read that carrots were originally purple! It was through a later mutation that they became orange. Also, purple carrots contain twice as much alpha and beta carotene as orange carrots!
I hope you enjoy my version of Beef Stew with Carrots, Onions and Celery. You may also be interested in reading, “Chefs Plate Turkish Beef Kofta Is an Easy Meal Recipe“.
Beef Stew with Carrots, Onion and Celery
- slow cooker
- sharp knife
- cutting board
- 2 lb shank of beef (bone out - ask your butcher for the bone)
- 7 carrots
- 2 onions
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 heaping teaspoons whole grain mustard
- 4 ounces Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- black pepper
- Place a non-stick frying pan on stove on high heat.
- Cut beef into 2 inch pieces. Place in a bowl and toss with black pepper. Place beef and bone in non-stick frying pan and dry fry for 4 minutes. Flip beef pieces and cook for another 4 minutes. Place beef in slow cooker.
- Peel carrots and cut into 2 inch pieces. Place carrots in slow cooker.
- Peel onion and cut into eighths. Place onion slices in slow cooker.
- Chop celery into 1/4" pieces. Place celery pieces in slow cooker.
- Add garlic, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and bay leaf to slow cooker and cover with 3 1/3 cups of boiling water.
- Cover slow cooker and cook for 6 hours or until beef is tender.