Having been on the Keto diet for the past 12 months and having success with it, I know how important meal planning is. One of my challenges is ensuring that I eat enough protein during the day. I usually do this by having eggs, yogourt, cheese and either meat or fish. The first three items are super easy to prepare – it’s the meat that gives me a problem. It means remembering in the morning to thaw out chicken, beef or fish for dinner that night if I don’t have leftovers from the previous day! It also involves making sure I have other items in the fridge to round out the recipe!
As I mentioned in a previous blog post, I enjoyed watching the 2022 Olympics over the past two weeks! While I can work in front of the TV, I can’t cook in front of mine since our kitchen is in the back of our house. As a result, I wanted to make a super easy recipe that would fulfill my protein requirements.
We don’t always have an open bottle of wine in the fridge and one of the reasons is: I don’t drink! My mother, however, enjoys a glass of wine here and there so she had an open bottle of Yellow Tail Chardonnay in the fridge that had been there for about three days. I had a great idea to use a cup of the wine in a chicken recipe. I looked in our fridge and sure enough, there were the mushrooms I bought last week to make a cauliflower crust pizza. I never got around to making the pizza so I thought I had better use the mushrooms before they went bad. I also had a red onion that was still fresh. And of course, I had frozen chicken breasts in the freezer. Voila (*lightbulb flashes in head!) I knew what I was going to make for dinner that night: Skillet Chicken in Wine with Mushrooms and Onions!
Skillet Chicken in wine with mushrooms and onion is an easy Keto recipe to make for dinner! You can have it ready in 35 minutes! If you have leftover wine you want to use up, I highly recommend adding wine as it adds a lovely flavour. If you don’t have wine available, chicken stock will do. Here’s another Keto recipe you might enjoy: Salmon Fillets with Cauliflower Rice and Spinach Recipe.
Let me know in the comment section if you make Skillet Chicken in Wine with Mushrooms and Onions.
Skillet Chicken in Wine with Mushrooms and Onions
- 1 large skillet pan
- 2 Chicken breasts, sliced into quarters
- 15 white mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 1 onion, sliced in thin strips
- 4 Tablespoons olive or avocado oil
- 1 cup white wine or chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste I didn't add salt.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of olive or avocado oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add chicken to skillet and cook until chicken is lightly browned. Don't fully cook the chicken at this point!
- Remove chicken from skillet and place on plate covered with another plate to keep warm.
- Add 1 more Tablespoon of olive or avocado oil to skillet and add onion to skillet. Cook onion until slightly browned.
- Add 1 more Tablespoon of olive or avocado oil to skillet and add mushrooms. Cook mushrooms until slightly browned.
- Add basil, oregano, thyme, marjoram garlic powder, salt and pepper to skillet and stir.
- Add wine (or chicken stock) to skillet and return chicken to skillet.
- Cook chicken and veggies until sauce thickens and reduces and chicken reaches an internal temperature of 175 degrees.
- Remove skillet from stove and let chicken and veggies rest for 10 minutes.
- Plate chicken and veggies and serve.
I am not on a Keto diet but I love to eat protein in the form of chicken or tofu! This looks delicious and I love how you the ingredients are simple and something that we already have at home. I definitely need to try this!
Hi Maureen, You could definitely make this with tofu instead of chicken! Yes, the spices in this recipe are probably in your kitchen cupboard 🙂 Cheers, Lori
looks delicious and simple enough to make. very nice recipe, good for me because I am not that good at cooking, really
Love the combination of spices in this recipe and the wine must give it a nice twist of flavor. Looks and sounds delicious.
Hi Nisha, Yes, the wine really elevates the flavour in this dish! Cheers, Lori
This looks like a lovely, simple recipe that’s easy to make. I do like mushrooms and onions a lot, so I’ll need to find a vegetarian alternative to this recipe.
Hi Alvern, I’m sure you could substitute the chicken for tofu to make this vegetarian! Cheers, Lori
This looks delicious and mouth watering. I would love to try this out. My son doesnt like Mushrooms but I love them. May be he would like this tasty recipe.
Hi Pooja, You could probably make this recipe without the mushrooms; maybe add another vegetable that your son likes? Cheers, Lori
This sounds like a delicious recipe. My husband likes to have dishes with chicken. He also likes mushrooms so it would make a perfect meal for him.
There is something about wine and mushrooms! Honestly mushrooms in general, so delicious. No cauliflower rice for this keto dish?
Ah! This meal does look delicious. I don’t think I’ve tried any dish made with wine before. This is worth trying.
Wow! This looks really delicious. I love easy-to-make Keto recipes. That’s a life-saver for a busy bee like me. Thank you for sharing the recipe. Can’t wait to try it.
Hi Clarice, I also follow the Keto diet and like easy Keto recipes! I hope you get to try it! Cheers, Lori
Comments are closed.