Maybe it’s all the hot weather we’ve been having – it’s been 37-39°C in Toronto over the past week-and-a-half – but I have been craving hot and spicy food!
I have been following a modified Keto diet for the past eight months and have had much success with it! I’ve lost around 22 pounds! While I generally follow the Keto guidelines, from time to time I will enjoy foods that have more carbs than is allowed on the diet such as pizza or chicken fingers. I love dishes with a lot of spices and I was craving a spicy beef dish. I decided to make Indonesian Fried Beef with Quinoa, Red Pepper and Green Peas, which I found on the internet. I made several modifications to the recipe to suit my taste.
Please keep in mind that this is not a Keto dish due to the inclusion of quinoa, but you can reduce the amount of quinoa if you want this dish to be low carb. If you are reducing the quinoa, here is the amount of water to use when boiling it:
3/4 cup quinoa -> 1 1/2 cups of water
1/2 cup quinoa -> 1 cup of water
1/4 cup quinoa -> 1/2 cup of water
If you are following the Keto diet, you might be interested in these recipes: Baked Haddock with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto, Zucchini and Pepper and Fried Shrimp Cauliflower Rice.
I hope you enjoy making Indonesian Fried Beef with Quinoa, Red Pepper and Green Peas. Please let me know in the comment section what you think of the recipe.
Indonesian Fried Beef and Quinoa Recipe
- 8 oz lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup sweet green peas
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ginger, minced
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 tsp sriracha or hot sauce I used hot sauce.
- 1/2 tsp cumin Use more if you like things spicy.
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 cup tamari or light soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Place quinoa in medium-sized pot and add 1 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then simmer on low heat for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let quinoa sit in pot for 10 minutes. Stir with a fork.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and onions and saute for 5 minutes. Add ground beef and saute until cooked.
- Add bell pepper to skillet and saute for 2 minutes. Add sriracha (or hot sauce), cumin, garlic, ginger, and turmeric and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add green peas to skillet and cook for 1 minute.
- Add quinoa and soy sauce to skillet and mix well.
- Serve on plates or in bowls and garnish with fresh cilantro.